The Medical University of Gdańsk is one of the applicants with the largest number of projects that have received funding from the Medical Research Agency (MRA) to support non-commercial clinical research. Currently, the MUG is a . The total value of funding received from MRA is over .
Clinical trial projects funded by MRA:
• ADONIS-PCI Dual antithrombotic therapy with Dabigatran and Ticagrelor in patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome and Non-valvular Atrial Fibrillation undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention [2019/ABM/01/00027]. Leader: Prof. Miłosz Jaguszewski from 1st Department of Cardiology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 13,180 mln PLN.
• ERICONS Early treatment with rituximab children with idiopathic nephrotic syndrome [2019/ABM/01/00024]. Leader: Prof. Aleksandra Żurowska, Head of the Department of Paediatrics, Nephrology and Hypertension of the MUG, funding in the amount of 11,960 mln PLN.
• RAFTING-2019 Radiation-free therapy for the initial treatment of good prognosis early non-bulky HL, defined by a low metabolic tumor volume and a negative interim PET after 2 chemotherapy cycles [2019/ABM/01/00060]. Leader: Prof. Jan Maciej Zaucha, Head of the Department of Haematology & Transplantology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 19,859 mln PLN.
• MeDMD Evaluation of the effectiveness of the use of metoprolol in the prevention of cardiomyopathy and cardiac deaths in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy [2019/ABM/01/00026]. Leader: Dr. Habil. Joanna Kwiatkowska, Head of the Department of Paediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defects of the MUG, funding in the amount of 17,904 mln PLN.
• STROACT Pharmacological reperfusion treatment of ischemic stroke in patients taking oral anticoagulants [2019/ABM/01/00084]. Leader: Prof. Bartosz Karaszewski, Head of the Department of Neurology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 20,795 mln PLN.
• COVID Phase III clinical research evaluating the efficacy and safety of Avigan (favipiravir) compared to standard care in accordance with the current AOTMiT recommendations in patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection [2020/ABM/COVID19/0060]. Leader: Dr. hab. Tomasz Smiatacz, Head of the Department of Infectious Diseases of the MUG, funding in the amount of 3,4 mln PLN
• CAREGIVER Cyclin-dependent kinase in triple-negative breast cancer – a „window of opportunity” study [2020/ABM/01/00008]. Leader: Dr. Habil. Elżbieta Senkus-Konefka from the Department of Oncology & Radiotherapy of the MUG. funding in the amount of 17,436 mln PLN.
• N-BURGUNG Use of nivolumab (N) followed by chemotherapy: bendamustine, gemcitabine and dexamethasone-BGD with autologous bone marrow transplantation in patients with Hodgkin’s lymphoma refractory to 1-line treatment [2020/ABM/01/00103]. Leader: Prof. Jan Maciej Zaucha, Head of the Department of Haematology & Transplantology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 17,117 mln PLN.
• WHARTON Assessment of the effect of Wharton’s jelly mesenchymal stem cell preparation (WJMSCs) in the treatment of fibrotic interstitial lung diseases [2020/ABM/01/00110]. Leader: Beata Wajda, Ph.D. from the Division of Pulmonology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 12,514 mln PLN.
• MARFAN To evaluate the effectiveness of valsartan in treating aortic dilatation in children and young adults with genetically determined thoracic aortic disease, Marfan’s syndrome, a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre study [2021/ABM/01/00011]. Leader: Lidia Woźniak-Mielczarek, Ph.D. from the Department of Paediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defects of the MUG, funding in the amount of 9,682 mln PLN.
• POLPHITT Clinical trial in children and adolescents with primary malignant liver cancer – hepatoma (Hepatoblastoma) and hepatocellular carcinoma (Hepatocarcinoma) [2021/ABM/01/00009]. Leader: Prof. Piotr Czauderna, Head of the Department of Surgery and Urology for Children and Adolescents of the MUG, funding in the amount of 6,117 mln PLN.
• SERTRALINA The effect of sertraline on anxiety-depressive symptoms, endothelial dysfunction and biomarkers in heart failure patients with preserved ejection fraction [2021/ABM/02/00024]. Leader: Prof. Paweł Zagożdżon, Head of the Division of Hygiene & Epidemiology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 9,944 mln PLN.
• WAKE-IN Treatment of acute ischemic stroke due to occlusion of a large vessel by mechanical thrombectomy in patients with unknown onset or not meeting the criteria for CT eligibility (ASPECTS < 6) based on MRI criteria (DWI-FLAIR mismatch) [2021/ABM/02/00018]. Leader: Prof. Bartosz Karaszewski, Head of the Department of Neurology of the MUG, funding in the amount of 9,996 mln PLN.
• TRIMETAZYDYNA Impact of trimetazidine on endothelial function and biomarkers correlating with the prognosis of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction [2021/ABM/03/00038]. Leader: Prof. Leszek Kalinowski, Head of Department of Clinical Analytics of the MUG. funding in the amount of 9,999 mln PLN.
• LEVOTAKO A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Multicenter Study of Levosimendan Therapy in low ejection fraction Takotsubo Syndrome [2022/ABM/01/00007]. Leader: prof. dr hab. Miłosz Jaguszewski (1st Department of Cardiology), funding in the amount of 11,273 mln PLN.