The Medical University of Gdańsk (MUG), next to the Medical University of Warsaw, is an applicant of the largest number of projects that have received funding from the Medical Research Agency to support non-commercial clinical research. In the first edition of the competition 5 research and scientific projects submitted by scientists from the MUG were given a possitive assessment with a total value of PLN 83 700 340,56:
- Dual Antithrombotic Therapy with Dabigatran and Ticagrelor in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome and Non-valvular Atrial Fibrillation Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (ADONIS-PCI), leader Prof. Miłosz Jaguszewski, M.D., Ph.D. from 1st Department of Cardiology of the MUG, funding in the amount of PLN 13 180 818,30
- Early treatment rituximabem children with idiopathic nephrotic syndrome \nAng. ERICONS – Early RITUXIMAB in Childhood Onset Nephrotic Syndrome, leader prof. Aleksandra Żurowska, M.D., Ph.D., Head of the Department of Paediatrics, Nephrology and Hypertension of the MUG, funding in the amount of PLN 11 960 320
- Radiation-Free Therapy for the Initial treatment of Good prognosis early non-bulky HL, defined by a low Metabolic Tumor Volume and a negative interim PET after 2 chemotherapy cycles (RAFTING-2019), leader prof. Jan Maciej Zaucha, M.D., Ph.D., Head of the Department of Haematology & Transplantology of the MUG, funding in the amount of PLN 19 859 259,16
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of the use of metoprolol in the prevention of cardiomyopathy and cardiac deaths in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, leader Joanna Kwiatkowska, M.D., Ph.D., D. Sc., Head of the Department of Paediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Defects of the MUG, funding in the amount of PLN 17 904 943,10
- Pharmacological reperfusion treatment of ischemic stroke in patients taking oral anticoagulants, leader prof. Bartosz Karaszewski, M.D., Ph.D., Head of the Department of Neurology of the MUG, funding in the amount of PLN 20 795 000,00.
The Medical Research Agency have a funding in the amount of PLN 17,435,785 for the project Cyclin dependent kinAse in tRiple nEGatIVe brEast canceR – a window of opportunity study”(CAREGIVER), whose leader is Elżbieta Senkus-Konefka, M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc. from the Department of Oncology & Radiotherapy of the MUG. The project will be implemented by a consortium composed of: the Greater Poland Cancer Centre, the Lower Silesian Oncology Center/ Department of Oncology of the Wroclaw Medical University and the National Research Institute of Oncology, Gliwice branch.
As part of the Express Call to fund research on COVID-19 competition funded by the Medical Research Agency funding in the amount of PLN 3 411 774,59 Phase III clinical research evaluating the efficacy and safety of Avigan (favipiravir) compared to standard care in accordance with the current AOTMiT recommendations in patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection whose leader is Tomasz Smiatacz, M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc., Head of the Department of Infectious Diseases of the MUG.
Photo by Paweł Sudara/MUG